Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Road trip... again?

Thursday morning I got a call from my Mom, "We're going to Utah tomorrow, are you going to come?" My grandmother lives in Utah near my Aunt in a care facility called a beehive home. We had visited with her in October on our trip to Utah's national parks. Everyone loves Great Grandma. Her joyful spirit is a blessing to be around. She just had her 96th birthday in February. But a week or two ago she began having trouble with her health and seems to be declining. So it was decided Dad should go out for a visit. I was not going to let this opportunity pass me by. In another month or two a 12 hour drive will not be possible (or even remotely enjoyable as I will be a giant prego-blimp by then) and once our little guy is here we won't be going any where for a while either. So I replied without hesitation, "We're going."

The girls and I were snuggling in bed in our pajamas when we got the call so when I hung up the phone I asked what they thought of going to Utah tomorrow. You'd have thought they had won the lottery. They immediately started jumping on the bed like little monkeys and throwing their sleepy time pals in the air screaming, "Utah, Utah, Utah!" It was good to have their enthusiasm near by as I started to realize what I had just committed to. All the preparations fortunately fell into place and we were on our way the next morning.

Saturday we visited Grandma first thing. She enjoyed having the little girls around. I was so glad to have them there with us to lighten the mood. Grandma can no longer see but continued to ask, "Who's the baby?" as Amber would scurry through the room and talk in her tiny little voice. We were all able to sit and talk a bit with Grandma.

The girls kept themselves busy by redecorating the dry erase board in Grandma's room. I hope the caregivers don't mind the permanent marks that made it to areas other than the white board.

After our visit we had the opportunity to visit the Draper Temple open house. The girls were very excited to be able to go inside the temple. Caitlin was very reverent and interested in the various rooms. Amber kept asking, "Mama, where's Jesus?" So I would point to all of the paintings portraying Jesus in each room and hallway. But she continued to ask again and again until I realized she has learned the temple is "The house of the Lord" and we talk about it being Heavenly Father's house. She believed we were going to see Jesus that day at his house. Melts my heart.

Sunday we attended Sacrament meeting at the beehive house with Grandma. They do a very abbreviated version which ended up being perfect for the girls. We started with a 30 minute "choir practice" before the sacrament meeting began. We sang mostly primary songs and a few hymns. Caitlin especially enjoyed that. Then the Sacrament meeting began. We had an opening song, prayer, sacrament hymn and the passing of the sacrament by a pair of young men from the local ward. And then there were two short talks, one from and "Ensign" article and one from a "Friend" article. Then the closing song and prayer. It was perfect. The spirit was there just as I have felt it on any other Sunday. It was a great experience.


The girls and I made cookies that afternoon while everyone else went off to Marlene's ward (which was during nap time). And then we all enjoyed an awesome corned beef and cabbage dinner in early celebration of St. Particks Day. Three of my cousins decided to give us a little entertainment and do a little Irish Jig for us.



Yes, we do actually have this much fun without alcohol. And yes I am willing to admit they're family. It's a shame the missing cousin (currently serving a mission in Canada) wasn't there to join in. This was right up his alley.

Monday I was able to sneak in two more visits with Grandma. And we enjoyed a fun Family Home Evening together.

Even three full days of card playing, cookie baking, F.H.E.-ing, and large family dinners just wasn't enough. But school and the responsibilities of home were calling. So back into the van we all went to drag ourselves back across the desert to our homes. It's always nice to get away. We love you Grandma!

No comments: