Monday, September 30, 2013

Do you see what I see?


Obviously this is a video of our little cherub enjoying one of his favorite activities: puddle splashing.



And I'm sure you also noticed I allow him to run around the yard in only a diaper for this activity. To save face I will mention he is in the back yard and the main reason I strip him down is to preserve his dry tennis shoes since he can't wear the orthotics without them. And, I admit, I love seeing chunky baby nakedness.



You probably also noticed the giant moose-dog. Jacob and Bella are very rarely far apart. She thinks Jacob needs extra supervision even with mama watching and Jacob thinks she is the next best thing after siblings. So they trot around the house and yard together when sibs are at school.

Did you notice anything else?

I did.

And I watched it over and over and over again.

Because it is beautiful!

Heels

on

the

ground!

After one full month in the orthotics and two weeks of physical therapy under our belts Jacob can walk with his heels on the ground! At least part of the time.

knee bent and toes up in forward motion

both heels flat at the same time

correct motion in hips, knees, and ankles



no more dragging toes!!

Jacob has started taking single steps down (and attempting to step up) through indoor/outdoor thresholds and pool decks without putting his hands down or even holding on to the doorway or an adult's hand.

Would it have bothered me to have a lifelong "toe-walker"? No. Am I completely and totally thrilled that he is developing the ability to walk without dragging his toes, falling constantly, and beating up his beautiful face? You better believe it!

In two short weeks of working with the physical therapist Jacob has learned to brace himself when he falls. So now, on the occasion that he does trip, he knows how to put his hands out to keep from smashing his little forehead into the asphalt. But he has also been working on balance in his therapy play and the proper motion of walking and stepping without tripping himself up. So falls are much fewer and farther in between anyway.


I've only seen her in action twice, but I love his physical therapist. She is amazing with him and has the best play ideas to encourage his motor skills. He loves popping bubbles with his toes (balance), stomping bubbles on the grass (balance and placement), squatting to pop bubbles with his fingers (stretching and strength). And we have learned so many cool new ways to play with his collapsible tunnels, bouncy balls, and pillows. I have so many more fun activities to do now.

I love watching my boy change!

No comments: