Friday, October 10, 2014

He knows how to love

One of the difficulties of "older child" adoption is overcoming the natural division that exists between a stranger and a child and turning it into a bond between a parent and child. A baby (or toddler who is developmentally still a baby) requires interaction that naturally overcome these boundaries. Babies need to be carried. Babies need to be hand fed. Babies need to be bathed and dressed. Touch is just a part of their life. But with a 6 year old, that "natural" need for touch is diminishing or, because of institutionalized care, already gone. So we have to create reasons for touch to build the bond.

Before we traveled to China Brad would tease me and make guesses as to how long it would take me to "train" Ty in the art of snuggling.

Wednesday morning as I was waking the kids for school I sat on the edge of Ty's bed and put my hand on his chest. I softly told him it was time to wake up and get ready for school. He peaked one eye open just enough to confirm it was me and then wrapped his arms around my neck and pulled me into his bed. He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and nuzzled his face into my neck and let out a contented  sigh. The art of the snuggle in it's purest form.

Apparently the record has now been set at 2 months 21 days. His training is complete.

We see more and more evidence of Ty's sweet, genuine little heart. He knows how to love. And we can see joy in his opportunities to express tender moments of love and compassion. The tough-guy always-in-control-and-in-charge outer shell is continuing to crack. He has been sweet all along. But he is so much more comfortable now.

I love watching my boys change. It is so amazing to watch.

Ty LOVES babies. He always want to hold and touch them.


Puppy love.

I was watching a football game at my parent's house and Ty snuggled into my lap to join me. I love having a buddy to watch the game with. Drew and Jacob still don't have the attention for it. Having him with me and watching him shout along when we would felt so good.

No comments: