Thursday, February 23, 2017

My little fighter

This past soccer season Amber discovered her inner animal. When the outdoor season ended she had the opportunity to continue on with indoor soccer. By the second session of indoor she was playing for two teams. The fire was officially lit.

About two weeks ago some of Amber's teammates started talking about competitive soccer tryouts. Amber asked if she could try out too. Now, I am not one to ever tell my kids they just can't do something. But, to be honest, my initial thought was: it'll be a waste of time, she's just not ready. Instead I told her she would have to work hard to be ready and, even if she did everything she could, she might not get selected. Competitive soccer in our area is exactly that: very competitive. But she was determined: she wanted to try out.

For 10 days before tryouts Amber asked every day without fail if we could practice. It rained almost every single day. She was undeterred. We practiced in the wind, rain and mud. I have never seen such determination from my sensory sensitive little fighter. Situations that would normally send her into a fit of tears were met with fierce determination. I was in awe.

Covered in mud with a hug smile on her face every day for over a week.

Ten days passed much faster than expected. And Amber showed marked improvement. But I knew we would still be hard-pressed to earn a spot on one of the teams.

The first day of tryouts came. Amber got a little too caught up in her head and did not perform as well. My observation of the returning players was disappointing at best. The first words I heard out of one of their mouths was from one returning player to another, "Did you see some of the girls who showed up to tryouts? Oh my gosh! What were they thinking?" (Insert disdain and disgust here) I was shocked and flashed the little snot a strong 'mom look' before walking away. She hadn't seen me behind her and sheepishly changed the subject. But I was floored. From the very moment the girls arrived it was crystal clear who had played on the competitive team the season before. They warmed up separate from the other girls and made it very clear they were quite proud of themselves. I thought that kind of stuff only happened in the movies.

The first tryout day was not ideal. Amber didn't know a single girl there. None of her friends ended up trying out. New situations always tend to stop my girl in her tracks. Amber just didn't perform to her ability. And she shared with me later more than one of the other girls had been unkind when she made a mistake. I would not have blamed her for not wanting to return. Tryouts were scheduled Saturday, Sunday and Monday. The girls were required to come to a minimum of two tryout days. We do not participate in organized team sports on Sunday so we planned to come back Monday.

Monday it was pouring. I don't mean raining. I mean a steady, unwavering downpour. I asked Amber if she wanted to go. I actually left room for resistance (truth be told I was not looking forward to standing in the rain for 90 minutes). She was undeterred. She assured me there were spots left on the B team and she wanted her chance to prove she could do it.



She came to the second tryout ready to fight. All of the jitters from day one were gone and she looked great. She played her little heart out and 90 minutes in the freezing rain had no ill effect on my little fighter.



Unfortunately, as this was the 3rd day of tryouts, there were about 14 girls left to compete for only 3 spots. She looked great. But not great enough to beat 11 girls. Amber did not get an invitation.

But, man, what a fight from my girl!

No comments: