Sunday, July 2, 2017

Pocket Man Turns Eight

Another Birthday has come and gone. My littlest guy is another year older. When I think of the changes that have happened in this little boy's life over the past 5 years I actually admire him.

At each visit to the doctors office and at the beginning of each new school year I fill out a questionnaire. On each survey I am asked the same question at some point: Has your child experienced any major changes over the past year? Examples given are divorce, a move or change of residence, the addition of a sibling, etc.

When I take inventory of Drew's last 5 consecutive years I can't help but think he is one amazing little guy. He has not only endured massive change after massive change, he has thrived. This boy has welcomed 5 brothers in 5 years. He has been dethroned as the baby. Disrupted in his birth order again and again. He was left in the care of others while his parents traveled weeks on end time and time again. He has changed homes. And he has done it all while staying his sweet little self.







In keeping with tradition we celebrated a number of times the week before his birthday with family. The day of the actual birthday there was an abundance of sugar in the form of donuts for breakfast and ice cream after dinner. And when we return home from our vacation I am sure there will be another party for friends. Most of Drew's friends think his birthday is in July because we never manage to get a party planned before the holiday. 

To my special little guy:

You were my first boy. I thought you would be my only. You have stolen a piece of my heart that know one else can hold. I pretend that I don't want you to get bigger and grow up. But I know someday it will be so fun to see the man you will become. I can't wait to see you grow.

All my love on your special day,
Mama

No comments: