Monday, January 28, 2013

What's in a name

Tonight as I cradled and rocked my sweet baby boy before settling him into his crib for the night, he gazed up at me with big giant dimples and a toothy grin, reached for my face with one pudgy little hand and said, "mama." My name has never sounded so beautiful. I have waited for and anticipated that sound much more this time than with my other children. For Jacob this is more than a first word, this is a realization, an acceptance.

Admittedly, I am not the first name he has called. Nor the second. And I may not even be the third. His very first spoken word was 'Dada' followed by 'Nana' and I have heard 'Papa' a couple times but am less confident that it was being used as a name (my parents are Nana and Papa). But I don't care how many others he claimed first. I am 'Mama', the one and only. And my name was spoken in a tender sweet moment that I will never forget.

No comments: