Thursday, September 3, 2015

Crash the Net

When I was coaching the kids' soccer teams I used to teach the phrase "crash the net!" It was a phrase I would use for both defense and offense in high pressure situations. If I yelled, "CRASH THE NET!" during a game, the kids knew they all needed to run as fast as they could to the goal. On defense this put as many bodies between the ball and our net as possible. On offense it put as many bodies into the opponent's box as possible. More bodies gave us a better chance of getting the ball where we wanted it to go. And in high pressure situations this cue let everyone on the team know they were all expected to hustle NOW.

If we were trying to score, even the defenders were expected to hustle as far forward as their position allowed to support and send a loose ball back in. And for a defensive call even the forwards were expected to hustle all the way back to the goal line if necessary to get that ball off our side of the field. Standing by and watching their team mates was not an option. Even if they were tired they were expected to give everything they had left in that moment. This was an emergency call. A last resort. An all-or-nothing push.

This week Brad and I have sounded the "crash the net" alarm in our family. With school starting right smack in the middle of our adjustment phase with a new addition, many of our family members are struggling. This is definitely what I would consider a "high pressure" situation. Some family members are overwhelmed by school, some are overwhelmed by siblings, some are overwhelmed by re-entry into the structure and routine of school and soccer practices, all are struggling to adjust to earlier wake times and bedtimes, and some are dealing with the scary skeletons hidden in their closets that just wont go away. It's getting pretty sporty around here and some of our family members are on slippery slopes.

We have counselors, therapists, social workers, agency help desks, new support groups, new books, school administration, friends, and extended family crashing the net with us. We are determined to give our all in this game, regardless of the current or end score.

I try really hard to be transparent here on this blog. To share the joy and the challenges. This is a record I want to revisit over the years and see how far we've come. To show all 6 of these kids how much they were wanted and fought for. To show them the love their siblings and parents felt for them even when things were kinda gnarly and adjustments were really hard.

We are swimming in deep waters at the moment. Justin is doing amazing and has been a huge blessing and help in our home. I was not expecting this. I thought his needs would trump the others for a while. I never would have guessed he would lighten the load from the get go.

But Justin is not the only new member of this family. And the experiences of the past months with mom and dad disappearing and reappearing continually over several months has taken it's toll on all four of the littles. As we come screaming into the new school year like a spaceship through the atmosphere we are "coming in a little hot" as the movies always seem to say. Several of our kids are fighting big battles right now. And having so many big needs to juggle this time of year is proving to be a serious undertaking.

Lately I have been thinking of one of my favorite quotes:

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, “Wow what a ride!” 
― Marjorie Pay Hinckley

We are on a crazy ride. We are "coming in hot" with an expected crash landing ahead. But we are blessed to have our Father in Heaven flying this ship so even if the hull gets a little banged up we know we will do as Sister Hinckley said and skid in broadside, loudly proclaiming, "Wow what a ride!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kim I love seeing your blog . I have fallowed it for awhile and it has helped us as we cross the bridge to try another adoption . Our first one fell through . Thank you for sharing your family and being real. . My god bless you all