Thursday, March 3, 2016

J-K-C-O-B

When Amber was about 3 or 4 I started something called 'mommy and me time.' Not only was this my attempt to spend quality one-on-one time with my middle child, I was also trying to address some of Amber's sensory struggles through Occupational Therapy play. We did all kinds of hands on stimulating play: shave cream, sand, finger painting, water play, bubble play, tumbling, painting our bodies, obstacle courses, etc etc. This was a turning point for Amber. We started to connect, she started to 'feel' her body with control, and she became more enjoyable.

The past few weeks Jacob and I have started mommy and me time. As the youngest of 6 kids, Jacob definitely needs this one-on-one time with mom. Jacob also shows signs of many sensory struggles just like our Little B (Amber) though he is on the opposite side of the struggle. Where Amber felt everything and was often in a continual state of overload, Jacob struggles to feel anything. This is super common for little ones who have spent their first year(s) in an institutional setting. He has been loving this special messy play time with mom and will ask me every morning, "You wanna play wiss me?"

Jacob has been working hard at his speech preschool to spell his name. For one reason or another he struggles to pronounce the letter 'A' and always says 'K' instead. The other day we were painting the shower with colored shave cream and I figured it was a good opportunity to practice.


This is a memory I will not soon forget. Love this little cherub.

No comments: