You were there the day we decided to 'drop by' the SPCA and just look. You were there waiting patiently for your family to find you. Your darling little adolescent puppy face melted your daddy's heart and there was no leaving without you.
You were there for the hot summer nights with no air conditioning. You sprawled across the bed with your new buddy, Nikki, and helped her try to steal every inch of our queen size mattress.
You were there when we would visit Grandma and Grandpa. You curled up on their couches like you owned the place.
You were there for our very first Christmas in our first home.
You were there when we brought home our very first baby. You eagerly obeyed when we changed the rules and made couches and beds off limits because of the baby. As she grew, you played beside her and watched over her.
You were there when we bought our second home. You welcomed another baby into your home and became the perfect example of a child-friendly dog.
You were there for preschool and even visited the classroom as a special guest.
You were there when we brought home our first bunny. You were there when the kittens invaded. You treated all with love and patience.
You were there for camping trips, sledding, hiking, and holiday adventures.
You were there when we moved again to the home we have now. You welcomed another baby into your home.
You fought off a deadly bone infection and bounced back from a tail amputation. You beat all the odds against a suspected brain tumor and lived to tell the tale 3 1/2 years longer than expected.
You were there when we lost our sweet Beau. You comforted me and curled up in my lap for hours of love through my tears.
You were there when we traveled back and forth to Russia. And you again welcomed another baby into your family, this time a toddler.
You have been there from the beginning. And so, today, because it was time, I was there.
I gently lifted you into the car and soothed your cries. I paced the waiting room floor. I let my tears flow freely when the doctor uttered the dreaded word, "cancer". I choked back sobs when she continued, "I can send you home with some great pain killers, but..."
I sat on the floor and stroked your coat as you nuzzled my hand and licked my chin telling me it was okay.
I praised you for hobbling outside for one last picture.
We went back inside to tell them I was ready and I wiped away my tears and tried to smile for one last picture together.
I praised you again when you laid down beside me for our last minutes together.
I lavished love and savory treats on you.
I waited until you had settled comfortably before letting the doctor begin.
I gently guided your gaze to my face as she began. And I kissed your soft nose one last time before you went to sleep.
You were there from the beginning. It is hard to imagine life without you because you seem to have always been a part of it. You were all the good things that make a dog man's best friend. You gave 13 years of devotion. And we are grateful... "Good girl, Terra."











1 comment:
Hi Kim and family,
I totally cried while reading your post. It is so hard to say goodbye to our sweet pets. Especially when they have been a part of our family for so long. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers.
Love,
The Whites
Post a Comment