Monday, April 15, 2013

Happy 'Versary!

 
How did you meet him?
Back when I was just an itty-bitty-baby of 15 my 'love-life' was in shambles. You remember being 15, right? I wasn't old enough to date officially, yet my romances had already been devastating. Ah, the life of an almost 16 year old... I was lamenting a current relationship woe to a close friend and said the words, "I need to meet someone new, who do you know?" She got really excited and said, "Actually, I know someone who would be great for you!"

Within days I was having phone conversations with some guy named Brad. He sounded nice and had a good sense of humor. I asked him to describe himself. All I can remember now is he said he had red hair. Man did he have some red hair!

Junior Prom
 

Was it "love at first sight?"
We met a week or so later. I admit, I liked him, but my bells and whistles weren't exactly ringing. Just a few short months later he had won me over in a major way. My little 16 year old heart was smitten.

Brad and I became high school sweethearts and were inseparable over the next 4 years. As seniors (going to different high schools) Brad would come across town to have lunch with me almost every day. Brad joined the Army Reserve during high school and went away after graduation to basic training and other training for 7 months. Admittedly, much to Brad's dismay, I dated a few guys while he was away in a very casual manner. I was not impressed. My heart was still smitten by the red head.

How did he pop the question?
When Brad returned from basic training, it was not long before we were skipping classes at our Jr. College to go ring shopping. We knew we wanted to be married and we were not going to do the 'normal' thing and move in together first. I was not an active member of our current church and Brad was not a member of the church yet either. But we attended a Nazarene church together and were faithfully following what we believed God wanted us to do by getting married.

So, to 'pop the question' Brad took me out to one of our favorite spots at the lake. We were running late and missed the sunset. We had done this a million times before, even in the dark, so I didn't realize it was a 'special occasion'. I just said it would be nice to watch the moon rise... There was no moon that night. So as Brad fumbled around in the dark looking for something (he had dropped the ring! Oh yes, in the sand, in the dark, at the lake!) I asked what he was doing.

So, maybe it wasn't the most romantic proposal, but I will never forget it.

One of our engagement photos

I will also never forget the reaction of our family and friends. We were barely 19 (married 3-4 months before our 20th birthdays) and it would be an understatement to say my family was unhappy. But, fortunately, God had a plan and their enthusiasm was not required. We would be blessed for following our Heavenly Father's desires even if they did not match the desires of our earthly parents. It took a little while for everyone to come around, but these days they will all tell you they loved Brad from the start...

13 years, how's it been?
Today we celebrate "lucky 13". These 13 years have been absolutely amazing! I found my soul mate. Now-a-days I cannot go a full day without feeling gratitude for the blessing of this amazing man in my life. I am the luckiest woman alive.

We've had our challenges for sure. Marriage is no easy ride. But I would take this ride over and over again.

Would you ever have guessed...?
I think my favorite part about the last 13 years is they have turned out nothing like I would have expected. I never would have guessed we would be homeowners just a year after our wedding.

My Dad said buying this house was a huge mistake.

We enjoyed proving him wrong...
 

Never would have guessed we'd start our family at the tender age of 21. Yes, I always wanted to be a mom, but if you'd asked me the day we got married if we wanted kids right away I would have said no.

We found out we were pregnant with Caitlin the weekend we tore this bathroom down to the floor joists. There was no bath tub until she was 5 months old. Fun times...
 

I never would have guessed I would be able to be a stay-at-home mom from day one. I never would have guessed we would have 4 beautiful children and not be done! I never would have guessed we would have had all the experiences we have had. Too many to number and all precious.


 

 
I have believed from the day I said "I do" with every ounce of my being that this marriage was going to be amazing. Because, when you ignore the rest of the world and make your marriage about you, your spouse, and God, nothing can stand in your way. Praises be to Heavenly Father for convincing two 19 year old kids to get married and follow Him.

No comments: