This was just a neat area on our way to YuYuan garden. It might have a name. But mostly it just felt unique so I snapped some pics and a video.
YuYuan Garden is a significant tourist attraction in Shanghai. Our guide said this is a very typical example of a wealthy master's garden. We were told over and over again how every detail is deliberate and a piece of art.
Nathan wanted this picture. He posed us and directed the photographer. This is the theater where the master would invite larger groups to entertain. There were many other areas for family members and small groups of friends to visit.
Our next stop was The Bund. This area allows a clear view of the city from across the river. There is a long walkway that follows the river and allows great photo opportunities.
If you want to see Nathan's great smile click this picture to enlarge it. We were having a great time.
This is a monument to the liberation of Shanghai.
We had lunch with our friends again. We all got a good laugh out of asking for water for our group and being brought this tiny bottle. We had empty water glasses. But this was all the water we were given...
Yay Nana! Mary Kay is everywhere.
I was unable to post a few pictures about our travel to Jinan previously. So, to catch you up, the day following our touring we traveled to Jinan to pick up Aiden.
Flat family rides the bullet train again!
We had three stops along the way. The last stop before Jinan was the same exact station we were in during Ty's orphanage visit in 2014. It was fun to see something familiar. Made me want to go say hi.
On the train I gave Nathan the iPad and we played a few games together. At one point he nudged me and said in Chinese, "heart" and pointed to me. Look at the green blob in the top of the picture. You may need to tilt your head to the right to see it. People, my boy presented me my first heart. I excitedly told my guide to explain to Nathan this is a continuing tradition in our family: to find and present each other with hearts. My guide gave me a funny look, but explained as I had asked. Nathan grinned and nodded.
We arrived at the hotel in Jinan with less than an hour to prepare for Aiden. The orphanage staff was bringing him to our hotel rather than meeting in a civil affairs office. I had asked that we make initial introductions in the lobby because our room was not big enough to accommodate a group and being crammed into a small space could cause some anxiety for Aiden without the emotions of meeting strangers and saying goodbye to his caretakers.
I prefer to be waiting on my kiddos entrance rather than them waiting on me. So I had planned to go down to the lobby 20 minutes before they said they would arrive. But we got a call almost 40 minutes early saying they were already in the lobby waiting for us. We rushed down to meet them and Aiden was there when we stepped off the elevator. No chance to capture first greetings on camera.
Back to the original post about Aiden's gotcha day:
Well, my hopes of the internet issue resolving when I left town have ended. It appears I will need to limit my daily photos and send the posts via Brad. So, sorry the pictures will be sparse. There are so many I want to share with you. There is a lot of cuteness around here all of a sudden.
We are officially 5 for 5 with amazing gotcha days. I was worried all along that Aiden would be my sensitive one who might cry or be scared the day we met. I could not have been more wrong. He was so ready and eagerly greeted us.
The first picture I was able to snap of him. Back in our hotel room. He had already discovered the iPad. It's like little boys have a 6th sense.
Aiden understands everything that is said to him. And he is able to repeat almost anything he is asked to repeat. But he only speaks one word at a time on his own and he isn't really able to answer questions unless it is a one word answer.
His orphanage and 'school' felt teaching him sign language would delay his ability to speak. So they never taught him to sign. Ever. I am sure there are many different opinions out there but mine is that sign enhances spoken language by preparing pathways in the brain for communication. I really believe the only reason Aiden is not speaking 'normally' is he has been trying to learn one of the most complex spoken languages for someone who did not hear prior to age 5 (because of tone sounds in the mandarin language) without first developing a foundation in a more complete language: sign.
Aiden is incredibly smart. And the words he does use are crystal clear. My guide kept exclaiming: "I heard that perfectly!" So did I and I don't speak mandarin fluently. He has the ability to speak. He just needs an altered way of learning to speak in sentences. I cannot wait to get this boy home and plug him into a complete treatment and education plan. He is going to absolutely soar.
As far as personality Aiden just makes me want to pinch his little cheeks and kiss him. First impressions of our boys have always been their best because they are charmers. But his best is so ooey gooey sweet I just wanna squeeze him. He was constantly sharing tonight. Constantly trying to be helpful. And, people, he is so cute!
I saw a tiny glimpse of Nathan's less-than-desirable side today. He was nervous. He left everything he knows today and got a new little brother within just a few hours. He could have used a day or two to process leaving his home town. Having my undivided attention these past days probably made him feel extremely threatened when he was completely lost in the room this afternoon. Aiden came with an entire entourage (this boy was crazy loved by his orphanage) and every adult in the room was focused on everyone else but Nathan.
These are just the women who came. There were also 2 men. It was a cramped hotel room for a while.
For a solid hour after everyone left Nathan was trying a little too hard to get my attention and be in charge of (boss around) his new little "sibling." After dinner things settled down for Nathan as we played games together.
I don't want to make things sound negative at all. Nathan has still been wonderful. Both boys had a great day. But I can see the insecurities bubbling beneath the surface and that is a part of this process. I'll be curious to see how tomorrow goes with our first full day together.
More tomorrow when I officially and legally have 8 children!
2 comments:
I cried reading this! You are amazing! God bless you and your beautiful family
So very happy for you and the family . Love seeing your blog and all the adventures . Nathan and Aiden are on the path to success . All the best! God bless !
Post a Comment