Sunday, March 26, 2017

This always seems to happen

I don't understand why it seems I must come down with a cold before meeting my boys. But I remember it happened with Jacob on our third trip. And I seem to recall having a cold with one of our other trips as well. But I digress. Here I sit with a full-blown head cold. Enter pouty face here.

I slept most of the night with some tossing and turning again. Only as I tossed and turned I noticed I was congested. Then I woke up this morning and felt like a truck had hit me. I made it through breakfast and ended up crawling back into bed for another two and a half hours of sleep. I slept so long I missed my opportunity to Skype with the littles before they went to bed.

I lounged about until about noon and then tried to motivate myself into some movement by taking a hot bath. The steam cleared me out a bit so I had some lunch and decided to get out of my room. Housekeeping provides two complimentary bottles of water each day. I didn't want to miss out on that. So I managed to drag myself out of the room about 1:00. 

After my dinner failure last night (the $20 buffet I barely ate at) I decided to try and balance out the meal budget by finding myself a bowl of noodles for dinner tonight. I have been eating food I brought from home for lunch and the instant noodles here are about $1. So off I went in search of a store.

The area surrounding my hotel is surprisingly quiet and, for lack of a better word, small. Our last trip to China seemed to include huge sky-rise buildings everywhere. This area of Shanghai seems much smaller and more home-y. 

It is Sunday afternoon. And I remember Kyiv being oddly empty on Sunday afternoon too. But I couldn't get over how quiet the streets were.


I finally found a store and collected my bottled water and $1 noodles. By the time I walked back to the hotel room I was exhausted. And it was probably less than a mile walk in total. Nothing frustrates me more than feeling weak and run down. Grunt. When I got to the room housekeeping was in the middle of cleaning and restocking so dragged myself back outside to the park to wait a few minutes. Too tired to walk around I just parked myself on the first bench and enjoyed some good old fashioned people watching.




Then it was back to my room for more rest. I didn't want to allow myself more sleep for fear of messing up my jet-lag progress. I must teach this body that night and day have switched. But I was so tired. I spent some time on the phone with Brad and played some computer games. Then I decided to mix it up a bit and start a puzzle. I brought three puzzles to do with the boys and I figure a head-start wont hurt. It was the perfect restful but engaging activity to pass a little more time.


I made it to the dinner hour. My noodles turned out being decent. I didn't love them but I also did not dislike them. For $1 it was a complete success.



I decided to make it dinner and a movie and watched the first half hour of Toy Story in Mandarin. After dinner I passed the time updating this blog post and planned to take a short walk in the park before a hot bath and bed time.

Here's hoping to a long and restful nights sleep that will fend off the cold. A girl can hope anyway.

Just one more sleep!

No comments: