Monday, June 24, 2013

Common phrases

These are a few of the most common words to leave my mouth. Every. Single. Day.

-Wwwwwhhhhaaaaaatttt? (In response to, "Mmmmmmoooooooommmmm?")

-Close the door.

-Don't slam the door.

-Put him down and let him play. (Directed to Caitlin who feels the need to pick up and carry Jacob everywhere.)

-Drew, get off your brother.

-Please don't ask me again.

-Now.

-Jacob, get down. (My little mountain goat.)

-No.

-I have already answered that question.

-1... 2... 3...


Some days feel like I have already lived them before. I have made this breakfast before. I have wiped these same hands and faces (and bums). I just dressed these people. That is the same load of laundry I just did. I said these same words. I washed these same dishes, made these same beds, and bought these same groceries. It's a bit like Groundhog Day, and sometimes just as funny.

 
But at the same time that everything feels like a daily repeat, I run across pictures like this:
 
 
And I remember how much things have changed in the last few years.
 
I realize that even though each day can feel so much the same, some day before I am ready, things will be oh so different.
 
Some day there wont be little ears here to hear me say, "Do you know that I love you?" And have them say back, "Do you know that I love you lots?" I'm sure we'll still say it to each other often. But it may be over a phone or after a long time away from each other.
 
And while many days feel the same, I do not have the luxury of having a "re-do" like in the movie. If I mess up, or say something I wish I hadn't, or miss a chance to do something fun, that day does not happen again. I don't get a second chance.
 
Oh, how the years fly. But a mother can choke on a day...

No comments: