I was one of the lucky ones. One of the few who were raised by a true man. I knew then, and I know now, the love of my Dad. I did not have to suffer the heart break of a father who was not there. I did not have to cope with the troubles of a troubled father. And I have been blessed with a father who continues to love me today. I love how my children love their Papa.
When we first brought Jacob home from Russia, Brad was "Papa." The care givers, translators, and everyone else who spoke to Jacob in Russia would talk to him about his "Mama and Papa." Brad and I would speak to Jacob in Russian and would use the name Papa as well. Once we arrived home and really began to focus on English, Brad became "Daddy." Jacob understood quickly and "Dada" was his very first spoken word. But I will not forget the look on his little face when we introduced him to my father as "Papa." And I will always remember that Papa was one of his first words, spoken even before Mama.
As we prepare for China, Brad and I will also use the name "Baba." The kids are learning a few Chinese phrases with us and recently asked why my name never changes in other languages. Mama seems to always be mama. It's an interesting thought.
Anyone who has read other posts of what I think of my hubby will know that I like to call him Superman. That's partly because he is the ultimate example of a great Dad.
When I saw this video, I cried. Because my Superman does all the things shown in the video. All the examples of what makes a Dad great: reading, laughing, working, supporting, loving discipline, personal sacrifice, including the kids in hands-on projects, going above an beyond the usual "Daddy-duties", wiping off the long day at work to greet enthusiastic kids on the other side of the door, getting outside with the kids, getting on the floor with the kids, dancing and singing with the kids (even when Mom says not to), Daddy dates, making sure to be there for the important stuff, and just making everything fun.
No matter what we call him: Daddy, Papa, Baba, or Superman, our guy blows the title right out of the water. We love you, Daddy, Happy Fathers Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment