Friday, July 18, 2014

A Rough Start to a Great Day

My eyes opened at 6:30 am. I could not believe it! I slept through the night! I asked Brad what time he woke up? 5:30 am (his norm). We were in disbelief. I went to check on the kids. Everyone was still unconscious. I went back to my bed and basked in the glory of this wonderful gift.

Ty finally woke up at 7:15. Jacob was up at 7:45. We had to wake the other 3 for breakfast at 8:00. Something wasn't right.  I knew this was way too good to be true.

I was right.

Ty took one bite of his eggs and immediately vomited all over the kitchen table. I carried him to the bathroom while Brad scrambled to do some damage control as the other kids distorted their faces and leaned away in their chairs.

Oddly enough Ty said he still wanted to eat and was very hungry and thirsty. I allowed him to sip on some water while we cooked some rice. After 20 minutes of water sipping he was still okay so I let him eat a few bites of rice and banana. When he was finished he laid on the couch and promptly fell asleep. I carried him to his bed and he stayed asleep for over 3 hours.

When he woke he complained of being super hungry. Worried that he would be sick again I made him sip on water as we ran one quick errand. We needed to get our adoption certificate over to an office for verification to get his medical coverage started so that he can be seen by his doctor. If he was getting sick we felt this would be even more important to do right away.

He continued to complain of being hungry. As we left the office we assured him he could eat as soon as we got home. Five minutes from home he threw up again. We pulled over in a gas station to do our best to clean up enough to make it home.

We walked in the door and he asked if he could eat. We made him sip water (despite his please for more water and food) and he kept it down for the 20 minutes to cook more rice. I offered him apple sauce and rice and it stayed down for the next hour. His mood improved so I made him some noodles. He ate large amounts and returned to his normal bouncy self. His stomach was fine the rest of the day and he was a happy boy. We assume this was probably a combination of nerves and jet lag. But it was definitely a rough start to the day.

Things were great after lunch. We played the afternoon away. After the rest of the family had a nap, we all did a little swimming. Now that we have goggles available for Ty he is really close to independent swimming. I would not call him water safe just yet, but I cannot believe how close he is so soon.


After dinner we decided to go to the local high school and ride bikes. I thought Ty would just ride a scooter or run along. Ha! Not our boy. If he sees someone else do it, he must do it too. It took him about 15 minutes.


And about 30 minutes after that:



This boy is so fun! His determination is admirable. He just does not quit. Ever. He and Drew are having the best time together. There are things that 2-year-old brothers just aren't big enough to do. Drew is loving having a big brother to run and play with. And Ty is totally in love with his littlest brother. He wants to help him with everything.


It may have had a rough start. But this was a great day.

No comments: