Thursday, April 6, 2017

From China 04/06

Yesterday was an amazing day at the zoo! We went to a different zoo than the last time I was in China. This place was unbelievable. It reminded me of Animal Kingdom in Orlando. Only better. 

The boys had a great time but definitely tired out at the end. I don't think we even saw the whole park. But what we did see was incredible.

We started the tour with a safari ride. I have heard some concerning things about this safari ride. But it was very cool. Aiden was excited.


By this point in the trip Nathan was desperate for some male interaction. So he spent his time hanging out with our friends, "Uncle Jared." 


The animals could come right up to the cars and our little safari train.


After the safari we walked through the dinosaur exhibit of all things. So we went from amazing up close wild animals to animatronic snakes and dinosaurs. Aiden wasn't sure what to think. He knew they were not real. But he was not sure. One of the dinosaurs spat water on him and he about lost it. When we went into the T-Rex cave he wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible.



Not sure he wants to go in...

Once we saw this he was done. Outta there with speed!
Once we were done with the dino park we were able to move into the real zoo. Many of the apes and birds were allowed to move through the park freely. So you would be walking along and an orangutan would swing by over your head.


These guys were just hanging out as we walked by. There were always zookeepers close enough to the animals to make sure no one harassed them or tried to feed them. And I can only assume they took them all to enclosures overnight. But it was really fun to see so many of the animals up close.


The animals were trained in the shows to also bring them very close to the audience. The birds would fly right over within touching distance. The monkeys would enter on a rope above our heads and drop into the satge to perform. One even demonstrated his ability to swim by dropping into the pool from a rope. Beavers would swim through right in front of us. It was wonderful.





We saw the Panda bears this time. The shear number of animals they have is amazing. There are over 150 white tigers alone. Hundreds and hundreds of animals. And their habitats are done very well. Expansive and beautiful while making it easy for the crowds to see and even feed many of the animals. We fed the giraffes. Aiden wanted to feed the elephants but funds are getting slim as we move into the final leg of this trip.








One of my favorite shows was the white tigers. They feed the tigers by extending chicken legs and other meats on wires to areas where the tigers can climb, leap and jump to get the food. This was amazing to watch.




Aiden laid his head in my lap on the ride back to the hotel and fell asleep. I soaked up my first real snuggle in over 2 weeks. He is so crazy sweet I have started calling him honey bear. 

Last night our hotel put on a dinner for adoptive families. We had an entire lounge dedicated to our group. The buffet was surprisingly good. I am all about free food. There was a live band and lots of good company. It was a great time.

Aiden sat right between the speaker and the drums. He kept telling me he could feel the music.
I was also introduced to the "mommy closet" here at the Garden Hotel. Adoptive families have left behind items that may be helpful to other adoptive families. The hotel has dedicated an entire closet to store these things. They have everything from extra luggage to rain coats and umbrellas to diapers and bottles and formula and medicines and extra clothes and snacks. You name it, it is probably in the closet. My other hotel did not have a clothesline when I did my laundry. If I had known about the mommy closet I could have gotten clotheslines and clothespins. There was even a rice maker in the closet. 

Not the best organization. But you really could find just about anything you might need in here. 


This morning has been mellow. Nathan has a canker sore. He does not endure pain well. I understand how much they can hurt. But it is ruining his day and he wants everyone to know. So aside from Mr. Grumpy Gills we are enjoying a day of laying low. 

We might try swimming again. It is going to be in the 80s today so maybe the water won't feel so frigid. 

Most of the other families in the hotel leave for home tomorrow. We will have to make some new friends. But the countdown has begun! I can do anything for a week. 

No comments: