Tuesday, April 11, 2017

From China 04/11

Today was rather long. Aside from changing hotels for the final time we didn't have much else to do. The only reason we are still in China is to wait for the boy's visas. Once they are delivered tomorrow afternoon we can leave. But that means there really isn't anything left to do. We've seen the sights. We've done all the appointments. Now we just wait. 

So, it has been the ultimate game of "entertain the small people." We have made fruit loop necklaces, played subway surfer and Uno until our eyes went cross, made lunch in the hotel room and strategically took a couple trips to 7-Eleven for water and ice cream to break up the day.



Our one major outing was to the park. I noticed it was supposed to rain from 3-4 so I planned our walk for then. These boys both believe they will melt in the rain like the wicked witch from the Wizard of Oz. It was time for a lesson. The 'rain' here has been the lightest sprinkle I have ever seen. I don't even notice it. We would call it a mist at home. The droplets are not even big enough to fall from the sky. They float and swirl about on their way down. 

But my boys constantly, and I mean constantly, complain of being wet and saying we must hurry inside. We walked in the 'rain' for over and hour and a half and our clothes were not even damp. Aiden kept wiping his head with his shirt and managed to accrue a small damp spot on the bottom of his shirt. He continually told me his shirt was wet and he needed a new one. Lesson in progress. 

Nathan kept telling me over and over again in Chinese: "Mom, it is raining." I got so tired of saying, "I know it is." that I finally started sh

reaking in terror after his statement and ran beneath a tree for cover with the best dramatics I could muster shrieking, "rain!" in Chinese. Both of the boys laughed heartily and finally seemed to receive the message. The informative statements of "it's raining" finally reduced to every five minutes rather than every 20 seconds. 

When we finally returned to the hotel room Aiden asked to change his shirt. When I said no he looked at me in disbelief. I told him it would dry. (It was not wet). He smiled and reenacted my "rain" scream with the dramatic motions I had used. I laughed and said, "yes." And we got back down to play time.  

These boys are in for a shock in our family. 

The next 24 hours are going to be a little rough. We have nothing left to do and I am getting pretty trunkie. My patience is wearing thin and the boys are getting bored. Not a good combo. 

No matter what happens in the next two days I am just trying to keep my eye on the prize and get us home. This has been a truly remarkable trip and I feel incredibly blessed. Now to just not trip at the finish line...

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Good luck with the next couple of days . Looks like great memories are being made .