Sunday, August 2, 2015

30 minute summary

I have 30 minutes to blog tonight because we need to get up at 3:15 to catch our flight HOME! So, I am skipping pictures (there weren't that many today and they were all places I have posted before).

Today was beautiful. Sunny skies, cool breeze, and pleasant company. Justin and I went to Sacrament meeting this morning, did a little souvenir shopping and lunch, and then spent the rest of our day at the river. I was a great last day in Kyiv.

We were both a little distracted but we still had a lot of fun together. We are both so ready to fly. Justin had a few moments of nerves today (it's gettin' real, people) but I was impressed to see him talk his way through it with me. This is not easy. He is 15 years old. He is not just a baby along for the ride or a young child not really knowing what to expect. He is a teenager leaving everything he knows. As he was calming himself he told me, "I think in America it will be good for me." Yes, I do too. This kid is something special. Heavenly Father has brought us to 3 amazing, beautiful, fun, and loving boys. We are blessed.

This evening we met our facilitator for one last dinner together. I requested T.G.I.Fridays again. Come back to me, American food! I had a burger that was oh-so-perfect. After dinner our facilitator drove us to the airport hotel.

As we drove out of the city I actually got teary. This is the end of a whirlwind, amazing, unbelievable four years. Four years ago we had (only) 3 kids. Four years ago we thought our family was complete. Four years ago we had never traveled out of the country (I don't count Mexico or the Bahamas on a cruise, sorry. No passport needed? Not traveling internationally). Four years ago our finances were so different. Four years ago our faith was so much smaller. So much has changed in four years.

When we came home from China it seemed EVERYONE wanted to know if we were done adopting. Each time they asked I could feel the answer was no. I knew we would go again (never would have guessed so soon). This time, I am not so sure. Adoption is very special to us. Brad and I are pretty young and could easily consider adoption again in the next 5-10 years as our oldest birds start to leave the nest. If Heavenly Father asks us to adopt again our answer will be a very quick and enthusiastic YES!

But I don't feel the same way this time coming home. This feels like a finish line. This feels complete. Whole, at least for now. And leaving the city tonight felt very bitter sweet. I have loved this part of the journey. Part of me doesn't want it to end.

It's time to turn the page into the next chapter. The real adventure is just beginning. But I think that last chapter was definitely my favorite so far. Let's see what's coming next...

No comments: