Sunday, November 18, 2012

Two weeks home

Another week has passed.  Things we are learning this week:

Mom:
1. I really am capable of staying home more than a day without an outing.

2. I have heard that, "once you have 3 kids, adding more isn't really any harder" and, "the jump from 1 to 2 to 3 is far bigger than 4 and beyond". So far, this seems true. My house is louder. There is more laundry. And my dishwasher runs more than once a day some days. But the overall adjustment and chaos of our home has not been as crazy as the first three babies coming home. It could have something to do with that fact that #4 is not an infant though... If they all came home on a routine including 11 hours of nighttime sleep and 2 hour-and-a-half naps every day, I think the craziness of a new baby wouldn't be as big a deal.

 
3. My mental mantra has needed to change. With my first three children who are almost over-attached to mama I have always coached myself through teaching them independence. With Jacob I am having to mentally remind myself it is a good thing when he cries for me to pick him up (a VERY good thing). It is okay to take the extra time to flirt and play even if he is supposed to be settling into a nap. And we don't need to 'toughen' him up by downplaying owies; it's okay to teach him to look for comfort from mom, he'll still be all-boy.

 4. Saturday and Sunday morning snuggles on Mom and Dad's bed with 4 kids suddenly seems very cramped. Do they make a bed bigger than a Cal King?



Drew:
1. Being the big brother has perks: I get treats after dinner and the baby does not, I get to watch a movie while the baby has to take a nap, and babies are not big enough to do things like ride a bike and play on the swing set.
2. Mom really does love me the same even though there is a baby in the house. Unfortunately she is still capable of enforcing the rules too.
3. School is the best place ever 'cause I get to be loud and play with toys that are "too small" to have around babies. It's hard when there is no school...

Jacob:
1. Being cradled and rocked to sleep is better than bouncing upright.
2. People actually do what I say when I use my signs for 'all-done' and 'more'. And I can show Mom where all the "no-no's" are in the house by shaking my head (the fireplace tools, the network router, drinking water in the tub).

 
3. Fruit smoothies are amazing! Where have they been all my life?
4. If I cry at night Mom will come in and help me go back to sleep. If I'm not ready for her to leave at my nap time she'll stay and rock me then too. I am not alone in my crib anymore.
5. Dad is an acceptable substitute for Mom for a little while. He is even capable of feeding me and changing my diaper. But I like Mom right now and eat better and play better for her.
6. I like having my teeth brushed. Mom says I have mondo morning breath from sucking my thumb and sleeping with my mouth open. Whatever, the baby toothpaste tastes good.

The rest of the fam is doing great. Everyone is happy to have Jacob home and it is starting to feel like he has always been here.


1 comment:

Jason and KariLynn said...

Yes...I'm really behind!! Love the top picture!! Glad it fits!